Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I'm Feeling Lucky...

I'm feeling a lot of gratitude lately. There's so many things I have to be thankful for. For one, I've got these great friends, and for another, I'm feeling a lot more accepting of people in general. This makes it possible to feel closer -- when I'm not in my head being critical then I'm freed up to love.

It surprises me that I'm developing new interests in a big way. It's about a year now that I've been learning French. At first it was just me and the page, the written word. I couldn't understand much that my teacher said or what was being said in a foreign film. Lately, however, I'm noticing a change.

When I talk to my Skype buddy in France I can actually understand him sometimes -- I can get the gist of what he's saying. I'm recognizing more and more words. I've quit taking French classes but I listen to my French podcast every night. I listen to the same thing over and over and now I don't have to be looking at the words to understand what he's saying. (It also doesn't hurt that he has one of those pheromone-producing French accents). And so I'm thinking that the next learning curve will be when I start speaking more naturally, with more confidence, in French.

I was surprised to find out today that Frederic (whose name I cannot pronounce without a lot of spitting) likes the way English sounds. That's a new one... He says English is energetic and lively (at least that's what I think he said)... I tried to see this from his perspective -- English lively? energetic? I guess if you're coming from a language that is constructed in such a way where you say the house of your mother instead of your mother's house, English might seem like a lively, short-cut language....

Grateful....

I am grateful that Obama is president. I am grateful that we have eye-candy in the White House, the bootylicious White House. I am grateful that he has moral integrity. And that he's said no more torture in G Bay. And I'm grateful that I have a beautiful son who takes me out to dinner and pays for my cell phone and says, "Mom, do you have everything you need?" And I'm grateful that I have another beautiful son who is raising two tweeners who is so upstanding, who highlights his daughter's hair for her. I am grateful that I have a place to live.

I am grateful for the shrimp/black bean/avocado dinner I made tonight. I am grateful for the library, and my laptop, and the cool book of poetry I'm reading.I am grateful to live in San Francisco where things are liberal....

No comments:

Post a Comment