Monday, July 20, 2009

Goodbye Arthur

My 20-year old French-speaking language partner just returned to Belgium last week, so I am in the market for a new French-speaking buddy. I looked on Craig's List tonight and there is actually someone (a 28 year-old woman) who is looking for someone to do a language-exchange with....

French. Mostly what I've been doing lately in regard to learning French is renting movies at Blockbuster that have French sub-titles. That's the pre-requisite. So I am renting movies that I don't have any real interest in seeing -- like the one I'm watching tonight called Zohan with Adam Sandler with a lot of penis jokes -- but this is a great method for learning. Also, I have two Skype buddies so twice a week I have a half hour's worth of time to practice...

Frederic told me that every day he does something to facilitate his learning English, so I am trying to do something every day to help me learn French... Slowly but surely should be my middle name.

Some interesting sub-titles:

Une fliquette -- slang for female cop...

Limiers -- bloodhounds...

Renards -- foxes...

Je suis enceinte -- I am pregnant...

Tu as vu mes bottes? -- Have you seen my boots?

Quelqu'un ment -- Someone is lieing.

J'aime vos collants -- I like your tights.

Je suis un mec -- I'm a dude.

You're hiring me? -- Tu m'engages?

Playing with monkeys -- Jouer avecs les singes...

There is a package for you -- Il y a un colis pour vous.

I'm going to find you -- Je vous trouverai.

Suis-moi -- Follow me...

Salami, merguez, pommes-frites -- Salami, baloney, apple-sauce...

Are you even watching the road? -- Vous regardez la route, au moins?

----

I am going to email the French woman now.......

No comments:

Post a Comment